[geeks] 4th Amendment Gone

Mike Meredith mike at blackhairy.demon.co.uk
Mon Mar 29 16:26:16 CST 2004

On Mon, 29 Mar 2004 16:39:37 -0500, Phil Stracchino wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 29, 2004 at 09:19:45PM +0000, Mike Meredith wrote:
> > rocks at the US ... the same thing is happening in the UK.
>
> From what I hear, it's happening faster in the UK than here.  My

Could be, although we haven't hurriedly constructed something as large
and sinister as the Department of Homeland Security (is it just me, or
does that name strike anyone as something that might exist in 1930's
Germany?). On the other hand the Home Secretary has acquired some
disturbing powers recently.

> bleak stories to tell when he came back.  He said, "The England I grew
> up in and loved is dead."

The bleak stories would make a difference, although most older people
prefer things the way they were when they were younger. It's easy to
overlook aspects of the past ... for instance your dad sounds old enough
to remember food rationing which was pretty grim for those who normally
could afford a better lifestyle (although it's worth remembering that
the miserly rations actually improved the diet of many of the poorest).