[geeks] 4th Amendment Gone

Phil Stracchino alaric at caerllewys.net
Mon Mar 29 13:44:48 CST 2004

On Mon, Mar 29, 2004 at 07:33:37PM +0000, Kris Kirby wrote:
> Some of you know me well enough to know that I don't usually involve
> others in my politics. It pains me to see the losses we are suffering
> every day in what we assume to be our God-given rights. I strongly
> encourage you to contact your congressman and let them know that this sort
> of thing is not to be tolerated.
>
> http://www.2theadvocate.com/stories/032604/new_searches001.shtml
>
> In a ruling two judges dubbed "the road to hell," a federal appeals court
> opened the door for police officers in three states to search homes and
> buildings for evidence without a warrant.
>
> The 5th Circuit U.S. Court of Appeals ruled Thursday in a Baton Rouge case
> that authorities don't need an arrest or search warrant to conduct a swift
> sweep of private property to ensure their own safety.

I have to believe that even in these times, the Louisiana (or US)
Supreme Court will very quickly strike this down as unconstitutional.
If they don't ...  well, it's probably the most blatant attack yet on
the Constitution, and if this on top of all the other recent abuses is
allowed to stand, it may be time to start considering the Constitution
to be in abeyance, at least in Louisiana.

 :  alaric at caerllewys.net|phil-stracchino at earthlink.net|phil at novylen.net  :