[geeks] UPS Fun/horror story...

Corda Albert J DLVA CordaAJ at NSWC.NAVY.MIL
Wed Mar 17 18:02:01 CST 2004

Interesting... Does anyone know just what our legal obligations are?
Yep, I know morally, we are obliged to return a mis-delivered item,
but the legal situation may be different... I seem to remember some
ruling stating that any unsolicited item sent to you can be considered
a gift (due to some case in the past where  unscrupulous companies were
sending
unsolicited merchandise to people and then billing them) I wonder what
the situation is with erroneous shipments? would it change things
if the mistake was made by the sender rather than the shipper?

Also, I can't believe one could be held responsible for the condition
of an unsolicited package.  Considering my job, and where I work, I would
look at _any_ unsolicited package with a wary eye... Officially, I'm
required to call base security if something arrives that I'm not expecting
(and
I can't track back to a valid sender),and they subject it to any number of
possibly distructive tests... What would my liability be if it after they
remotely detonate it in a water tank, it turns out to be someone's uncle's
ashes, or grandma's ming vase that ended up here...

and BTW, it's not paranoia if everyone in the world really IS out to
get ya ;-)

-al-