[geeks] home wap paranoia

Martin Wedel geeks at Xsintrk.net
Wed Mar 17 11:10:07 CST 2004

Daniel Johannsson wrote:
> Hi,
> I've finally decided to get myself a wireless access point at home, after
> getting really tired of always snaking a long ethernet cable to where ever
> I'm sitting with the laptop.

It's hard to beat wireless at home. I bought a fujitsu 5010D, so now I
can glue my ass on the couch and surf and watch the news without
balancing a laptop.

> Are people in general just trusting 128bit wep and using non broadcast
> ssids, or also doing things like putting the wap on a private network, and
> then forcing ipsec tunnels from the laptops to a machine with a nic on
> both the private and the external facing network?

I turned off SSID broadcasts, enabled wep, set up the MAC control list
on the AP, and plugged it into a port on my netscreen that doesn't allow
access to my vpn connection to work. Haven't had a problem yet.

I did have a dude somewhere near me running their dlink on the same
channel as me, unsecured, and default password. I guess it's like the
old story about being chased by a bear. As long as there's an easier
target near you, the freeloaders won't mess with you much.
(look for the SSID PLEASESECUREME in U City MO).

-Martin