[geeks] home wap paranoia

Daniel Johannsson djohanns at northwestern.edu
Wed Mar 17 11:00:57 CST 2004

Hi,
I've finally decided to get myself a wireless access point at home, after
getting really tired of always snaking a long ethernet cable to where ever
I'm sitting with the laptop.

I'm wondering how paranoid other geeks members are about people getting
onto their wap, and out on their net connection.  I live in a fairly high
density area, with a lot of apts/condos and some coffee shops/restaurants
withing probable wap range, so I'm thinking I should try to go fairly
secure.

Are people in general just trusting 128bit wep and using non broadcast
ssids, or also doing things like putting the wap on a private network, and
then forcing ipsec tunnels from the laptops to a machine with a nic on
both the private and the external facing network?

Thanks,

Dan Johannsson