[geeks] shopping cart

Kurt Huhn kurt at k-huhn.com
Tue Mar 16 13:37:04 CST 2004

On Tue, 16 Mar 2004 13:04:54 -0600 (CST)
nimitz at ns1.nimitzbrood.com wrote:

> MAMBOPLUGIN PLS THX BYE!
>
> Seriously Kurt - if you release a good PHP shopping cart plugin I will
> be happy to spend much serious time plugging pipecrafter.com anywhere
> I can.  Even putting links to in on handmadethings.com - whenever the
> hell I finally get that running dammit.

*sniff* *sniff*
Hey!  That smells like a plug!  :)

The first version will be a simple cart system.  I don't know about a
Mamboserver plugin.  That looks complicated - but possibly not so much.
Mambo, while a dream to admin, seems like a serious nightmare to
integrate into if you're not going whole-hog with a full plugin.

What I think I might do, is create a component for admining the cart -
so that you can add items, pictures, etc.  While leaving the cart
itself completely seperate from the Mambo interface.  I really like how
the PayPal cart functions - I just wish they supported inventory counts.

I also don't want the cart to be a full storefront.  All I want is a
*cart* - the thing you put stuff in, and a checkout app.

Now, granted, without integrating the storefront and the cart, there's
going to be issues updating the storefront with inventory counts or
"sold out" tags in place of "add to cart" or whatever.

So, the next thing that needs to happen, is for Mamboserver to support
PHP in "typed content" components.  Setting iframes simply isn't
acceptable, and scripting an autoresize function for the iframe
just *barely* works 90% of the time.  Frankly, there's no reason why
typed content should be able to include HTML tags, but forward PHP
script as HTML (invisible in most browsers).  All that shit should hit
the php interpreter at the same time.  It seems to be a shortcoming in
how Mambo is written, but I'm not sure at this point.

Aha!  A project for my "down time".  (as if I had any :)

--
Kurt                 "I believe that pipe smoking contributes to a
kurt at k-huhn.com       somewhat calm and objective judgement in all