[geeks] ISA server security analysis?

Mike Meredith mike at blackhairy.demon.co.uk
Sat Mar 13 02:26:59 CST 2004

On Fri, 12 Mar 2004 13:13:51 -0500, David A de Gruyl wrote:
> Does anyone have a pointer to any analysis on Microsoft's ISA server?

A quick google shows at least 3 ISA vulnerabilities ... where there's 1
there might be more.
A google for OpenBSD firewall vulnerabilities doesn't show anything.

Hardly conclusive, but it does sort of point to using BSD doesn't it ?

> for background -- I may actually be doing my day job for an extended
> period of time from another location.  I have two locations with
> OpenBSD firewalls.  We have a computer consulting company which is not
> really comfortable with things which do not originate in Redmond.  So,
> they seem to want to move to ISA server.

Are they expecting you to run the ISA server ? Point out that you're
happy to run a secure firewall with OpenBSD, but that you're not happy
with running a secure ISA firewall.

In the end there's nothing you can do to stop them running ISA, but you
*can* make a big fuss about not plugging your gear into their network
without a proper firewall ... whenever you take your laptop to their
site, take one of those lunchbox Sun systems running OpenBSD as well to
guard your laptop.