[geeks] Anybody running asterisk pbx?

Dan Duncan dand at pcisys.net
Tue Mar 9 10:54:06 CST 2004

On Tue, 9 Mar 2004, Lionel Peterson wrote:
> Anyone have advice on wireless sets? My thougths are:
>  2.4 or 5.8 GHz band [0]
>  Digital (not analog)
>  Answering machine function
>  Two-line support important
>  (Ability to tie into a VoIP "box" (vonage account) as second line)
>  Intercom/easy call transfer between handsets important[1]
>  Don't need Caller ID (I assume it is always a telemarketer ;^)
>  Cost[2]

I'm using a Cybergenie setup at home because it's so
friggin cheap.  It does all of the above and includes
handset to handset calling for 10 extensions.  I think I
paid $120 for the base and 10 handsets.

To get the multi-user voice mail and voice recognition dialing
option, you have to connect it to a PC over USB.  Unfortunately
the last I heard it only worked under windoze 98 or XP.  There was a lot
of talk about someone trying to port it to linux, but I don't know what
ever came of it and I haven't really kept up.

> My goal would be to have the ability to pick up a call on any handset, be able
> to transfer the call to any other handset easily, and from the handset decide
> if my outgoing call will go over POTS or VoIP. My home phone system will also
> include a dial in modem line and a FAX modem line (from server for outgoing
> faxes).

The Cybergenie base unit has 2 inbound analog lines and an outbound
analog line to your fax machine/modem.  (it has a switch built in)
Each handset has a default outgoing line but can also call on the
other line.  (I don't think it has to be the same per handset)

It was a great idea, but it didn't sell terribly well.  There are
a few prototype units out there that did 4 lines and 20 handsets,
but I've never seen one.

The reception is decent.  I've never been very happy with the range
of any GHz phones I've used.  I think cordless phone technology
peaked at 900MHz.

-DanD

# "Yield to temptation;  it may not pass your way again."  -Lazarus Long