[geeks] Anybody running asterisk pbx?

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at verizon.net
Tue Mar 9 08:38:02 CST 2004

> From: Thomas Gallaway <rescue at port11.net>
> Date: 2004/03/08 Mon PM 10:37:45 GMT
> To: geeks at sunhelp.org
> Subject: [geeks] Anybody running asterisk pbx?
>
> If somebody wants to set up a home or office PBX this just
> rocks. I am right now changing the entire office phone system
> to voice over ip and asterisk is just fun to work with and free.

Pointers?

I need a new wireless phone system at home - my Seimens Gigaset is dying - had
it about 5 or 6 years, the LCD on the base is going dim, and the sound is not
so good, since my house is not infected with 2.4 GHz 802.11b...

Anyone have advice on wireless sets? My thougths are:

 2.4 or 5.8 GHz band [0]
 Digital (not analog)
 Answering machine function
 Two-line support important
 (Ability to tie into a VoIP "box" (vonage account) as second line)
 Intercom/easy call transfer between handsets important[1]
 Don't need Caller ID (I assume it is always a telemarketer ;^)
 Cost[2]

Notes:
 [0] I have 802.11b/g currently deployed, may add 802.11a soon...
 [1] I never could quite figure it out with the Gigaset
 [2] I assume this will cost <> $300 for base & 3 handsets

My goal would be to have the ability to pick up a call on any handset, be able
to transfer the call to any other handset easily, and from the handset decide
if my outgoing call will go over POTS or VoIP. My home phone system will also
include a dial in modem line and a FAX modem line (from server for outgoing
faxes).

Thanks in advance for any pointers/advice,

Lionel
lionel 4287 at verizon net