[geeks] Need moving expertise

Nadine Miller vraptor at promessage.com
Sat Mar 6 17:56:42 CST 2004

Thanks to all for the suggestions.

More investigation has still not turned up anything
feasible.

Budget appears to be the only rental car/cargo van/
pickup truck possibility if you are going one-way
more than "neighboring states" (and apparently the
rental car co's are now putting hidden GPS tracking
in many of the cars).  Rates are ridiculously high
though from Budget, since they are charging mileage.
(E.g. higher than 25' panel truck + car carrier rate
for one-way through Penske, or even Budget's own 10'
panel truck rate.)

No leads on train shipping.

Right now it looks like I am going to go east first,
get an apartment and start work, and will do the
live like a poor college student gig (no furniture,
public transit). After a pay check or two, we'll
plunk down the cash on a 6' x 12' trailer, and use
that to move all the stuff. Dual axle 6'x12' is $3333
before tax.  A smaller trailer one way from Uhaul runs
 >$1000. Two trips, sell the trailer, and it'll be
cheaper than any of the other options.

The husband is staying here in the meantime; hopefully
he'll get some hours in doing rough framing and demo-
lition to make some $$ as well.

Being cash *and* credit poor sucks rocks.

Any of you folks out there in the DC area have leads
on good housing?

Thanks--
=Nadine=