[geeks] Why I hate UPS

Nadine Miller vraptor at promessage.com
Thu Mar 4 10:36:37 CST 2004

Mike F wrote:

> On a similar note, I just received a SS20 I ePayed from
> AnySystem with the $1 shipping deal. I wasn't home when
> the FedEx guy attempted delivery, but the note on the door
> says it will be available at the depot after 6:45pm. Well,
> around 6:15 I get a knock on the door - the FedEx driver
> was coming through the area at the end of his route and
> decided he'd see if anyone was home to accept the package.
> I was pleasantly surprised by the extra effort, something
> I wouldn't expect from UPS.

Rumor has it that the FedEx Ground delivery guys are paid
per parcel delivered & that they own/lease own the trucks,
so if they are close by, it's better for him to try again.

The FedEx Ground company is actually a separately held
corporation.  You have to apply via a different process
for employment (since they are not considered an airline
like "regular" FedEx is).  FedEx Ground came about as an
aquisition, and the original company had the FedEx logistics
applied to it.

I always go directly to the depot, since it's close to my
house.  The folks there are always helpful.  Two days ago,
when I went to ship, I was in the cut off window for FEG--
they don't accept FEG shipments from 5pm to 6:30pm due to
the load that they get for regular FedEx in that window
(FEG cut-off is 5pm).  However, the manager saw that our
box was really heavy, and took the shipment anyway (only
he could override) so we would not have to haul it back
out.

=Nadine=