[geeks] Why I hate UPS

Mike F lists at ibrew.net
Thu Mar 4 07:27:03 CST 2004

Lionel Peterson wrote:

> FedEx Ground is CHEAP for non-trivial shipments, in my exp.
> By non-trivial I mean weighs more than a few pounds (putting
> USPS Priorty Mail out of the question). I always use FedEx
> Ground and ship from the Customer Service counter AT FEDEX. I
> do not/will not pay a Mailbox, etc. type store their silly
> fees if I can in anyway help it... I suspect your local
> shipper prices FedEx ground so high to get the customer to
> choose UPS (better discount for greater volume?)...
>
> My E450 arrived today (still setting it up - the friggin'
> thing is *HEAVY*), got it into the house (up 5 steps) by
> myself, but am delaying going down the flight of stairs by my
> self with it...
>
> Anyway - it cost Anysystem.com $5/pound (stated rate on
> shipping bill), but that seems wrong, since that would mean
> that Anysystem.com lost about $300 on the deal ($5 x 220 =
> $1100) - maybe that was the insured weight (i.e. insured for
> $5/pound for damage/loss)...
>
> It was cool though - it came properly packed, with a pallet,
> and little wodden tracks to make a ramp off the pallet... ;^)

On a similar note, I just received a SS20 I ePayed from
AnySystem with the $1 shipping deal. I wasn't home when
the FedEx guy attempted delivery, but the note on the door
says it will be available at the depot after 6:45pm. Well,
around 6:15 I get a knock on the door - the FedEx driver
was coming through the area at the end of his route and
decided he'd see if anyone was home to accept the package.
I was pleasantly surprised by the extra effort, something
I wouldn't expect from UPS.