[geeks] Need moving expertise

Francois Dion fdion at atriumwindows.com
Tue Mar 2 16:19:05 CST 2004

I wouldn't go above about 2500lbs, maybe even 2000. It's only speced for
a class I hitch and you might damage your tranny on a cross country if
loaded at 3500lbs. You can definitely pull your bike on a trailer.
That's not too heavy. You probably can load about 500lbs-1000lbs more on
the trailer depending if it's designed for that. Most average hardware
superstore trailers have a 900lbs rating at most. The Forrester should
be able to handle another 500 lbs in the back of the car. Hopefully you
have the sport springs. Keep an eye on tire pressure too.

Some cars are better suited at hauling stuff, but of course, there is no
substitute for a truck with a frame. I'm in the middle of a move myself
(altough a few miles only) and I must say that my old 1991 Peugeot 505
turbo wagon has got to be the next best thing to a uhaul. :). In fact I
was going to get a few SGI desksides with it this weekend but my wife
and kids are wanting to tag along so we are going to pull a trailer
(next week, I'll post pictures of the rescue operation).

Now back to your problem, have you investigated shipping a container by
train?

Francois