[geeks] Need moving expertise

Nadine Miller vraptor at promessage.com
Tue Mar 2 15:16:14 CST 2004

Francois Dion wrote:

> Yeah, I know. Uhaul & company charge a lot of money. How far you have to
> drive? What type of vehicule do you own? Brand, model and year. You have
> to improvise with what you have sometimes. How big/heavy is your bike?

Assuming no issues with background check so my job offer
is finalize, as far across the lower 48 as is just about
possible: SF area to DC area.

I have a 2001 Subaru Forrester--we have driven with a mid-
size trailer hauling 1 55Gal barrel of water and assorted
gear to Burning Man, and it wasn't fun.  It's rated for a
class 2 hitch, but I don't want to push that envelope at
all.

Bike is a 1999 BMW F650, with hard bags and rack case, so
its probably pushing 700lbs.

Right now we are looking at trading the Forrester for a
full size pickup that our dealer has (straight trade),
or possibly getting a loan secured by a vehicle, though
that's a slim possibility due to our financial situation.

The U-Pack/ABF/X-Move type folks are coming out higher
in estimates than a one-way Penske 25' truck with car
carrier if we were to move everything (we are emptying
the house, including the appliances, since trying to
get any reasonable prices for anything sold in the Bay
Area right now is ridiculous--we had to throw away all
the store fixtures--we couldn't *give* them away).

=Nadine=