[geeks] Why I hate UPS

Nadine Miller vraptor at promessage.com
Tue Mar 2 14:15:30 CST 2004

Dan Duncan wrote:

> Would it surprise you to learn that UPS is a union shop?
>
> I have so much better luck with FedEx, who is non-union.

While I have not had bad luck with UPS deliveries of
late, I just prefer not to use them since working for
the company that did the standardized tests for Texas
grammar/high schools.

Every year, like clockwork, we had to ship the tests to
the schools.  The tests had to be secured once they arrived,
so they had to be signed for, etc.  And, for schools in
large cities, the tests went to the school board offices--
so there was *A LOT* of tests--like pallets full.

We'd call UPS 6 weeks in advance and tell them we were
shipping on X day (6 weeks from now) and would need a
*large* shipping truck (i.e. not a brown van) FOR PALLETS.

3 weeks before we'd call and verify.  Then two weeks before,
then one week, then 2 days.

Invariably, they'd send a brown van.

And lets not talk about how many times they'd just drop off
the tests if they were the smaller districts' dinky bundles.
You would not believe the audit paperwork that would have
to be files with the state education agency because of that.

We had much better luck with Airborne Express.

But these days, for "whenever" shipping FedEx Ground is my
carrier of choice.  Very cheap, really.  I'm hoping they
decide to do an international "slow" shipping at some point.

=Nadine=