[geeks] Why I hate UPS

David L Kindred (Dave) d.kindred at telesciences.com
Tue Mar 2 14:09:43 CST 2004

    Dan> Would it surprise you to learn that UPS is a union shop?

    Dan> I have so much better luck with FedEx, who is non-union.

In my neighborhood I have seen the opposite, except when the regular UPS
guy is on vacation.  The UPS guy is around everyday, has the key
(officially or not) to the exterior stairwell doors so he can leave
things inside, and is more than willing to carry or help carry large
packages upstairs.  An old-fashioned "part of the neighborhood" type of
person.

On the other hand, the FedEx people are only by once a week or so, have
given me the "phantom no one home" bit, and then the "out for delivery"
for a week before being returned to the vendor.  And each time it seems
to be a different guy, and even the largest of packages are just
unceremoniously dropped on the grass and left.

I suspect that the individual is the key here, as with most things in
life.

--
David L. Kindred
Unix Systems & Network Administrator