[geeks] Aluminum 30" Apple Display

Bill Bradford mrbill at mrbill.net
Mon Jun 28 20:16:39 CDT 2004

On Mon, Jun 28, 2004 at 05:30:57PM -0400, Joshua Boyd wrote:
> In my temporary housing, there are a minimum of 3 machines in use at all
> times, typically 4-5.  The three minimum are workstation, file server,
> and router/firewall/dns server (also likely to get squid installed one
> of these days).  Additionally, there can be 1-3 test/work machines
> (linux machine, solaris 9 machine, NetBSD/sparc64 machine) going and a
> CVS server.

I got tired of having so many machines.  I'm down to, currently:

- Dual-CPU G4 (my desktop machine)
- Wife's Windows machine
- "toaster", my dedicated rsnapshot(.org) box for remote backups of my
  colo boxes

Network is handled by a PIX 501 (about the size of a paperback book).

I'm already looking to find a smaller case for toaster.  This fall I may
replace it with a mini-ITX box (see www.nanode.com for an example).

I'm starting to like small, quiet, fanless machines that do their job
and don't have to be 1Ghz to function properly.

Bill

--
bill bradford
austin texas