[geeks] Aluminum 30" Apple Display

Kurt Huhn kurt at k-huhn.com
Mon Jun 28 15:25:47 CDT 2004

On Mon, 28 Jun 2004 14:49:58 -0500
Bill Bradford wrote:

> I've got the dual MDD 867Mhz G4, 2G RAM, 60G disk, and am replacing
> the DVD/CD-RW/CD-RW with a single DVD+-RW/CDRW/CD-R in about a week.
> I don't necessarily have to replace it in November, but I'm thinking
> about it.

What are you stuffing in there?  I'm trying to save some cash for a
Pioneer DVR-107 "SuperDrive" for Karin's sawtooth.

> (I get a bit of an inheritance when I turn 30)
> > Its plenty fast for what I do now, but something a little quieter
> would be nice.

Gotcha.  The G5 *is* quiet - until you put it under load that is.  :)

Normal surfing/email/tetris sound from it is rather quiet, nearly
silent actually.  Even GarageBand doesn't really stress it out.
However, running the Unreal Tournament 2004 demo makes it "woosh" like
an Octane.  It's actually kinda comforting - to know that it *can* make
all that noise, but it doesn't *have* to.  :)

--
Kurt                 "I believe that pipe smoking contributes to a
kurt at k-huhn.com       somewhat calm and objective judgement in all