[geeks] USENET binaries... what programs?

Sandwich Maker adh at an.bradford.ma.us
Thu Jun 24 11:01:16 CDT 2004

" From: mrl <vlack-lists at vlack.com>
"
" What do you guys use to download binaries? CLI/X11 doesn't matter, as
" long as it works :P.
" I'm on AstraWeb, at the moment; only had a Windows machine here at work
" before.

ftp mostly.  also browsers and [increasingly] curl.

speaking of which, i recently fetched some disk spec pdfs from
seagate, and in the last half of the d/l curl was showing 7.5k, with
avg of 4.5-4.7k.  it would also occasionally stall, then bounce as
high as 13k, which makes sense if it was waiting for an
out-of-sequence packet.

pretty good for a 33.6 modem on ttyb of my sparc2, if it can be
trusted.  ftp usually shows avgs in the low 3ks.  btw i have tcp and
udp limits tuned for dialup, and i've had ttyb nailed to 76800 at
least since i went to 2.6 four years ago.