[geeks] Web file storage

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at verizon.net
Sun Jun 20 08:09:40 CDT 2004

> From: Lionel Peterson <lionel4287 at verizon.net>
> Date: 2004/06/20 Sun PM 12:21:17 GMT
> To: The Geeks List <geeks at sunhelp.org>
> Subject: Re: [geeks] Web file storage
>
> > From: Bill Bradford <mrbill at mrbill.net>
> > Date: 2004/06/18 Fri PM 01:45:24 GMT
> > To: geeks at sunhelp.org
> > Subject: [geeks] Web file storage
> >
> > I've got a need to let people upload and download files, and only
> > *their* files, through a web interface.  Assume that these people have
> > no knowledge of FTP, and this needs to be entirely web-based.
> >
> > Suggestions for software?
>
> Why not focus on a nice GUI front-end for regular FTP? Seems to me that
> non-annonymous FTP is exactly what you need, and a nice GUI could help.
>
> Also, based on the client OS these folks are using, I think WinXP might have
> some good integration (make an FTP server a network place, save the ID &
> password, and you could just drag & drop files in and out of the remote
> server...

Sorry for the follow-up to my own post...

Adding an FTP server via "My Network Places"/"Add Network Place" in XP and choosing to NOT use anonymous FTP, you wind up with a desktop shortcut that prompts you for a password before access. Also, the folder that opens up is just as useful (drag & drop, cut & paste, etc.) that a regular windows folder is to an end-user.

My prior post was "theoretical," and after I posted it I went a did it locally to see what I got...