[geeks] Web file storage

Kurt Huhn kurt at k-huhn.com
Fri Jun 18 10:53:57 CDT 2004

On Fri, 18 Jun 2004 08:45:24 -0500
Bill Bradford wrote:

> I've got a need to let people upload and download files, and only
> *their* files, through a web interface.  Assume that these people have
> no knowledge of FTP, and this needs to be entirely web-based.
>
> Suggestions for software?

I use webdav.  It's http, not FTP, so if that's a requirement....

The other option is to tell them to use their IE  (I assume IE) and
point it to the FTP server like:
ftp://user@server.domain.tld
this should provide a sufficient pointy-clicky interface.

The other option is to use the HTTP file transfer crapola coupled with a
login script and a DB backend to sort out particulars.  This could be
hacked together in any web-script language in a couple hours.

Or, it could be time to apply a liberal does of cluebat.

--
Kurt                 "I believe that pipe smoking contributes to a
kurt at k-huhn.com       somewhat calm and objective judgement in all