[geeks] Web file storage

Brian Dunbar brian.dunbar at plexus.com
Fri Jun 18 09:59:52 CDT 2004

On Jun 18, 2004, at 9:44 AM, Bill Bradford wrote:

> On Fri, Jun 18, 2004 at 09:09:48AM -0500, Mike Parson wrote:
>> What's wrong with giving them an ftp URL?
>> ftp://user:pass@host/
>> I set this up for customers all the time.
>> ftp://user@host/ should even prompt for the pass.
>> IE can even be set to make ftp connections look like folders that you
>> drag and drop files to/from.
>
> They want it to be pointy-clicky-pretty with a username/password
> login, etc.  e.g., no FTP. 8-(

We had the same requirement a few years ago, save that the requirement
was to xfer files between workgroups separated by time zones and
companies.

The DB guy ended up writing his own using Apache / MySql and (I think)
Perl for some of the fiddly bits behind the scenes.

Username is their email address.  File uploads/downloads notifications
can be sent via email, files can be copied using FTP or HTTP.  The
files are NOT saved to the web server, but to a dedicated FTP server.
Very pointy clicky.

it seems to work okay - one of our competitors was told that they
needed "a file transfer system just like those guys".

~brian