[geeks] Web file storage

Thomas Gallaway rescue at port11.net
Fri Jun 18 09:27:44 CDT 2004

Bill Bradford wrote:

>I've got a need to let people upload and download files, and only
>*their* files, through a web interface.  Assume that these people have
>no knowledge of FTP, and this needs to be entirely web-based.
>
>Suggestions for software?
>
>Bill

Whatever you will use make sure the software uploads the files into a
non-web browsable folder. I recall doing an security audit on an NT4
system that had this upload.asp script installed. Now as everybody knows
in NT4 asp runs as system level and there is an  ASP application that
lets you execute .exe files serverside. Also the upload script just
uploaded the file into the same folder than the upload script resided.
Now if you put A and B together you see my point.

Anyways there are a bunch of those out there. I am using an JAVA
sollution right now that came with the gallery software I am using.
Kinda like this.
http://jupload.sourceforge.net/

There is quite some info out there in google world and such. Here is a
do it yourself in PHP:
http://www.devarticles.com/c/a/PHP/Creating-a-MultiFile-Upload-Script-in-PHP/

Hope that helped.

-- Thomas