[geeks] script advice needed

N. Miller vraptor at promessage.com
Thu Jun 17 11:52:14 CDT 2004

I have been tagged with putting together a script to transfer
data from an application server to a web server; the data goes
into the docroot on the web server.

My tool of choice will be rsync over ssh using a non-priv'd user
via ssh-agent and pub/private keys.  However, due to the
architecture of the site, I'm in a quandry as to whether to
implement it as a push or a pull.

The environment is set up as two tiers: fw->web->fw->app,
and the network b/w the two is private.

>From a security standpoint, it seems more secure to implement
a push from the app server to the web server (since the web
servers are more "exposed").

>From the standpoint of error detection and simplicity, having
the web server pull seems more straightforward, since it would
just involve making a "backup" of the existing docroot before doing
the pull.  With a push, I'd have to run some sort of scheduled
archiving on the web server.

The push/pull will be run every 30 minutes.

Comments, thoughts, obvious clue bats appreciated. :-)

TIA--
=Nadine=

(and no snickering from the former employee ;-)
--
  N. Miller
  vraptor at promessage.com