[geeks] Cable modems/routers

The Renaissance Man alaric at caerllewys.net
Thu Jun 17 00:43:03 CDT 2004

On Wed, Jun 16, 2004 at 11:39:15PM -0500, mrl wrote:
> Oh, and if I purchase a PCI cable modem, are there any gotchas? My dad
> is of the opinion that just because it's PCI, that doesn't mean that it
> won't require a power-cycle every once in the while (which of course
> means rebooting the entire machine), although that doesn't make much
> sense to me (as in, there's no way a card-manufacturer would put the
> thing on the market if it had a flaw like that, right?).

It never stopped a hell of a lot of manufacturers from putting internal
modems on the market that you couldn't reset except by bouncing the box.

> On a related note, one of our switches may be failing. Any suggestions
> on what to replace it with are welcome (in the 4-8 port range, nothing
> huge).

In unmanaged switches, I've had excellent results with Netgear.

--
  ========== Fight Back!  It may not be just YOUR life at risk. ==========
  alaric at caerllewys.net : phil-stracchino at earthlink.net : phil at novylen.net