[geeks] Encrypted hash question

Jonathan C. Patschke jp at celestrion.net
Wed Jun 16 12:13:13 CDT 2004

On Wed, 16 Jun 2004, Bill Bradford wrote:

> Now, I just need to decrypt the hash so I can recover the password.

Not going to happen.  Hashes do not decrypt.  They have to be
brute-forced.

> However, these aren't MD5 hashes, and the "John the Ripper" password
> cracker wont' recognize them either when I plug them into a password
> file.
>
> INSERT INTO user_password VALUES ('administrator','iiQ4AxZsPtUZ3r00');
> INSERT INTO user_password VALUES ('operator','7ePNxD3QNoHP9r00');

I seem to remember MySQL using SHA1 hashes.

Is there a reason why, if you can confirm the hashing algorithm used,
you cannot just plop in your own hashed value from a known password?

--
Jonathan Patschke )"We're Germans and we use Unix.  That's a combination
Elgin, TX        (  of two demographic groups known to have no sense of