[geeks] RIP, Ronald Reagan

Patrick Giagnocavo +1.717.201.3366 patrick at zill.net
Mon Jun 7 15:21:11 CDT 2004

On Mon, Jun 07, 2004 at 08:05:18PM +0000, Lionel Peterson wrote:
> > The most inept president I know was Gerald Ford.  He sure is a funny
> > guy though.
>
> Well, you can thank your boy Nixon for Gerald Ford - if he hadn't had a tax cheat for a VP, and hadn't tried to cover up Watergate break-in, Gerald Ford would never have been made President...
>
> I happen to think that Nixon was one of the smarter Presidents, but that actually may have been his unding (his brains, and the arrogance to think he could "get away with it"  :^)

I read a book with a bunch of interviews of different people who knew
Nixon, which was very interesting.

One point that someone made was that Nixon used to blather on about
doing this or that to a political opponent, but it was sort of a
bluster reflex - his mom would say "now Richard..." then he would cool
down and be OK, and let it go.

His mother died, though, before Watergate occurred.

--P