[geeks] Solaris 9 changes

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at verizon.net
Thu Jul 29 16:47:37 CDT 2004

> From: Joshua Boyd <jdboyd at jdboyd.net>
> Date: 2004/07/29 Thu PM 07:28:11 GMT
> To: The Geeks List <geeks at sunhelp.org>
> Subject: Re: Re: [geeks] Solaris 9 changes
>
> On Thu, Jul 29, 2004 at 07:38:29PM +0000, Lionel Peterson wrote:
>
> > Anyway, it makes sense to me - it is the only possible outcome based
> > on point #3 above... (Solaris 10 is 64-bit only - I assume this to be
> > true, based on the conversations preceeding this)
>
> I understand why it would be stupid to officially support the U1.  What
> I don't get is why they would put a boot time check in, rather than just
> deny that it is supported.

Two issues - believability (sp?) - when Sun says it, you can believe it, and to prevent a rouge client from running it on an Ultra 1, and to allow Sun to break actual compatability down the line at *their* discretion, without additional notice or impact. If Solaris 10 ever was capable of running on an Ultra 1, once they did break compatability they would have to announce that "now it really won't work on an Ultra 1"...