[geeks] Solaris 9 changes

Michael Schiller schiller at agrijag.com
Thu Jul 29 15:32:47 CDT 2004

On Jul 29, 2004, at 3:28 PM, Joshua Boyd wrote:

> I understand why it would be stupid to officially support the U1.  What
> I don't get is why they would put a boot time check in, rather than
> just
> deny that it is supported.

Well, Sun has done this same thing before. When they dropped VME
support in Solaris 7 they did a boot time check for 6x0 series
machines, and wouldn't boot on them, even tho it ran perfectly (without
support for VME cards of course) on a 6x0 machine if you weren't using
any VME cards. I would imagine that this is to make it difficult for a
user to use it on a non-supported machine, so the user can't complain
later that they just loaded it, and didn't know it was un-supported. I
mean if you go out of your way to patch the kernel to not do the check,
you're pretty sure what you're doing isn't supported. Gee, being able
to think like a Suit is a scary thought!

-Mike