[geeks] Mini-ITX cases/systems/vendors

Bill Bradford mrbill at mrbill.net
Thu Jul 29 11:41:36 CDT 2004

On Thu, Jul 29, 2004 at 11:09:58AM -0400, Joshua Boyd wrote:
> Is that a CRT on her desk?  I thought you'd upgraded everything to LCD
> awhile back.

No, that's an 18.1" Sun (aka Samsung Syncmaster 800TFT) LCD flatpanel.

> Just out of curiosity, did the onboard sound have S/PDIF out?  Has she
> ever considered using a headphone amp with S/PDIF in?  Sure, it wouldn't
> be quite a cheap, but it might be nicer still.

Yep, SPDIF ports on both the front and pback panels.  She's very picky
about what she's got, "it works", and so we're not changing..  She's got
a $400 pair of Sennheisers right now.

> The big difference is that on analog out from the SB Live, there was a
> noise/hum, that you could hear changing pitch with changing CPU/disk
> loads.  The external DAC doesn't have that problem.

That sounds like a grounding issue to me.

> Any in case you are wondering, I'm not using a very high quality DA.
> It's a pretty cheap one made for monitoring signals (not professionally
> monitoring it for quality, just monitoring it to make sure it is there
> and the right thing).  It's just all I had on hand.

she uses this for MP3s.

Bill

--
bill bradford