[geeks] Wireless Problems Redux

Michael Kaegler Michael.Kaegler at marist.edu
Thu Jul 29 10:10:43 CDT 2004

There is such a thing as *too much* power.

Kind of like the stereo in your car (similar effect, different
reason). Blasting it gives you lots of noise and lots of distortion.
With so much distortion, the laptop isn't going to be able to always
make sense of the signal, and the AP may not realize it just ran over
one of the laptop's frames since its blasting so loud. And the
strength of signal reflections bouncing off doors, walls, fine china
and roaches is stronger, complicating matters even worse...

This is the analysis from the MIT Roofnet people anyhow, and I tend
to agree. Everyone who builds a Roofnet node automatically goes for
the 200mW cards. From what I hear, some of the admin types are trying
to convince a few of the nodes to drop to 80mW and they're seeing
throughput go *up* over those links.

(Sorry, no links to published information on this...totally gleaned
from conversations)
-mKaegler