[geeks] Solaris 9 changes

Jonathan C. Patschke jp at celestrion.net
Wed Jul 28 10:57:57 CDT 2004

On Wed, 28 Jul 2004, Scott Howard wrote:

> Yup. I went looking once to find out why, and there was a semi-sane
> reason for it, although I've completely forgotten what it was!

Did it have something to do with Cray using them in the J90s (and
possibly SV1s) as system controllers?

> Nope. S10 will no longer boot on an UltraSPARC-I at all. There's a check
> in the boot code which stops it. See my previous msg for more details.

That doesn't seem like it'd be hard at all to defeat.  Probably one
could just replace a comparison with a nop in the kernel.  But then
you'd have to redo it everytime you got a new patchset and it'd only be
a matter of time before software targeted at S10 would assume US-II.

Oh well, I need an excuse to upgrade my Ultra 1Es to Netra T1s, anyway.  :)

--
Jonathan Patschke )"We're Germans and we use Unix.  That's a combination
Elgin, TX        (  of two demographic groups known to have no sense of