[geeks] Solaris 9 changes

Scott Howard scott at doc.net.au
Wed Jul 28 08:29:26 CDT 2004

On Wed, Jul 28, 2004 at 08:44:39AM -0400, Joshua Boyd wrote:
> The Ultra-1 stopped shipping before the SS-5?  That's interesting.

Yup. I went looking once to find out why, and there was a semi-sane
reason for it, although I've completely forgotten what it was!
I do seem to remember that the SS-5 was taken off the pricelist before
the U-1 was, but they were still available for some time after that if
you asked nicely.

> It makes sense.  Besides, can't one run US-1s in 64bit mode, albeit with
> a bug where users can crash the machine.  Or is Ultra-1 support going
> away altogether.

Nope. S10 will no longer boot on an UltraSPARC-I at all. There's a check
in the boot code which stops it. See my previous msg for more details.

  Scott