[geeks] Solaris 9 changes

Bill Bradford mrbill at mrbill.net
Tue Jul 27 22:46:55 CDT 2004

Solaris 9 9/04 is out, along with a list of changes:

http://www.sun.com/bigadmin/content/eof.html

Some of these were listed in earlier end-of-software-support lists.

Notable things removed as of this release:
- sun4d support
- 80486 support
- WebNFS (did ANYBODY use WebNFS?)
- AnswerBook2

Current support that may be removed in a future release:
- sun4m hardware support
- le ethernet drivers
- 32-bit sun4u kernel
- 32-bit X11 Static libs
- Support for A3K, A3500, A3500FC storage
- AdminTool
- fork() (?)
- KCMS
- Netscape 4.7, 6.x, 7.0
- NIS+

I'm surprised that sun4m support has lasted this long, as well as 32-bit
UltraSPARC.  I'm sad to see AdminTool go, as the only thing I ever used it
for was managing printers. :)

NIS+ will NOT be missed.  I had to deal with it in '95, and I *still* have
a bad taste in my mouth.  I heard that NIS+ was implemented for one or two
big customers, and Sun themselves continued/continues to use NIS.

Bill

--
bill bradford
austin texas