[geeks] Time To Move...

Sandwich Maker adh at an.bradford.ma.us
Wed Jul 21 09:39:59 CDT 2004

" From: Charles Shannon Hendrix <shannon at widomaker.com>
"
" Tue, 20 Jul 2004 @ 14:57 -0400, Sandwich Maker said:
"
" > " I'm on dialup now because I can get it for that, and am not enough of a
" > " bandwidth hog to justify the $45/month it costs for a cable connection.
" >
" > same here, though i can also get verizon's $30 dsl here.
"
" I have even downloaded CDs over dialup.  rsync is your friend... :)

i got both s8 and s9...  took -days- [well, nights].  wget/curl was my
friend.

btw i usually get 3.2-3.5kb/s, but recently managed 7.5k snagging a
pdf from seagate iirc [with curl].  not bad for a 33.6 modem on a
76800 port...

" > " If I got rid of my land line I could do it, but I like having a
" > " land-line for emergencies.
" > "
" > " I would also like the option of just buying a data pipe and IP address.
" > " I have no need for the other "services" of most package deals.
" >
" > i'd like dns too, but that's all.  my present $20 dialup gives me
" > static ip, dns, and mailspool, and there's nothing more i want except
" > speed and always-on.
"
" Wow... my ISP charges a lot for static IP dialup.  In fact, for some
" reason it is quite a bit more than their DSL service.

i shopped around a lot.  i was pleasantly surprised when galaxy turned
up with their business dialup, and it didn't take me two minutes to
decide to go with them.  that was '96 or '97 iirc.

i'd briefly considered a pop account and fetchmail, but this saved me
a bunch o' work - at first anyway.	;^>