[geeks] Gentoo / Sparc / Java development anyone?

Scott Howard scott at doc.net.au
Wed Jul 21 08:59:37 CDT 2004

On Wed, Jul 21, 2004 at 01:50:08PM +0000, Lionel Peterson wrote:
> > From: Scott Howard <scott at doc.net.au>
>
> Are you sure they didn't support the early development efforts
> (informational)? I'm not saying they did, but support doesn;t have to mean
> they offer it on their current servers...

Fairly sure that, as a company, we didn't. However that's not to say
that individuals from Sun weren't involved - in fact you'd be hard
pressed to find any major OS projects which haven't had Sun staff
support at some stage or other - especially SPARC-based stuff.

> I'd like to see .iso images that turn old Sun Ultra 1 machines into network
> appliances (Preconfigured OS & third-party software, with wizards/READMEs to
> support configuration)... Images I'd like would be intranet webserver, SAMBA
> file server, thin clients, firewalls, routers, etc.

Relatively easy to do with a Flash archive - just build a machine as you
want it, flash it, and then make a CD/DVD with a miniroot and the flash
archive on it to install your new machines.

The hard bit is writing the software to run the "appliance" in the first
place...

  Scott