[geeks] Gentoo / Sparc / Java development anyone?

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at verizon.net
Wed Jul 21 08:50:08 CDT 2004

> From: Scott Howard <scott at doc.net.au>
> Date: 2004/07/21 Wed AM 09:15:49 GMT
> To: The Geeks List <geeks at sunhelp.org>
> Subject: Re: [geeks] Gentoo / Sparc / Java development anyone?
>
> On Mon, Jul 19, 2004 at 11:08:05AM -0700, Gary Nichols wrote:
> > > Why would I think that?  Sun doesn't support Linux on SPARC.  They
> > > support Linux on x86 and x86-64.
> >
> > Good point.
> >
> > *sticks out tounge at Sun.com*
>
> Hey! I take offence at that!

Are you sure they didn't support the early development efforts
(informational)? I'm not saying they did, but support doesn;t have to mean
they offer it on their current servers...

<ot>
I'd like to see .iso images that turn old Sun Ultra 1 machines into network
appliances (Preconfigured OS & third-party software, with wizards/READMEs to
support configuration)... Images I'd like would be intranet webserver, SAMBA
file server, thin clients, firewalls, routers, etc.

Ultra 1s sell for $10 (with $20 shipping), and SBUS cards are plentiful and
affordable - it seems to me that folks don't see value in them anymore.

<disclaimer>
I have been known to buy Ultra 1s @ $10 just for the two spud brackets and 4x
64 Meg DIMMs...

<offer>
Anyone looking for an Ultra 1-170 (non-e) base w/o RAM or HD? Please contact
me off list - asking price equals shipping costs - I've got a couple...
</offer>

</disclaimer>

</ot>

Lionel