[geeks] Airport Express arrived yesterday!

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at verizon.net
Sat Jul 17 20:43:55 CDT 2004

> From: Mike Meredith <mike at blackhairy.demon.co.uk>
> Date: 2004/07/17 Sat PM 07:12:15 GMT
> To: The Geeks List <geeks at sunhelp.org>
> Subject: Re: [geeks] Airport Express arrived yesterday!

> Assuming the Express works like other wireless APs I've seen, the IP
> address it has is irrelevant to whether the laptops can connect ... it's
> essentially a layer-2 bridge.

Well, remember the AirPort Express is an access point, it is also a print server and an MP3 streaming client - it is the last two functions (that I assume) would be IP address sensitive. For example, to access an AirPort Express printer from a windows client, you need to set the IP address of the Apple AirPort Express, which could change.

> And unless you've got a severely hacked DHCP server, the IP address
> handed out to the Express should be the same every time (assuming it's
> on the same network segment). It's part of the DHCP specification that a
> device should retain an IP address over lease renewal.

My Linksys cable router is my DHCP server.

I thought DHCP addresses had a lifetime, and when that was up it could be renewed (retained) by a device, but if the device is not powered up when the address "expired", it could not request an extension, hence losing the address...