[geeks] Airport Express

sammy ominsky s at avoidant.org
Thu Jul 15 09:25:32 CDT 2004

On Jul 15, 2004, at 09:17, velociraptor wrote:

> You might want to look at the custom firmware here:
> <http://www.sveasoft.com/modules/phpBB2/dlman.php?
> func=select_folder&folder_id=10>

Thanks!

> This Linksys is emminently hackable, being an embedded
> Linux device.  There's a whole huge section on it at the
> Seattle Wireless pages.  I just bought the GS ("Speed
> Booster") AP/router a couple of days ago after reading
> about the G and the GS.

Yeah, i only bought the G because it was cheap. The day after the
vulnerability was announced, Best buy threw them on the clearance
table. For $40, I couldn't say no. Of course, the new firmware came out
the next day and they put them back on the shelf, but I happened to be
one of the fortunate.

> I'd also advise trying a few other channels (if possible with
> the Airport Card).

It's possible. I have tried all available channels that wouldn't touch
the neighbor's network. None of them give any joy. :(

>   I wonder if there are any easy
> to build spectrum scanners that you could focus on the
> 2.4GHz range which you could pipe to something like
> netstumbler?

They're not cheap.

> A higher gain antenna pair would also be a relatively
> cheap thing to try (at least, compared to the Express ;-).

Yeah, but the AE will also go in my backpack easily and make me
wireless anywhere I can plug it in.

> Good luck with it...

Thanks!

---sambo