[geeks] Airport Express

Geoffrey S. Mendelson gsm at mendelson.com
Thu Jul 15 09:03:51 CDT 2004

Lionel Peterson wrote:

> Have you tried upping the power of your access point (if possible)? I know
> some linksys APs have the ability to adjust power output via software... Tried
> any upgrade antennas? External amplifiers?

You need to be careful with this. In Israel the limit is 100mw EIRP,
meaning that if you start out with a 100mw signal (as most routers
provide), you have to reduce it accordingly for any gain provided by
antenna or amplifier.

I know there are restrictions in the U.S. For example the inventor of the
pringles can antenna was threatned with prosecution by the FCC for using it.

I found that if you set your router/ap to stay at a specific bps rate, it
will recover faster. My D-link router would not do it (you can specify a
maximum but not a fixed speed) and my EDIMAX would let you do it.

What would happen in my case is that a high powered signal (probably
anti-personel airborne radar) would flash overhead and wipe out
everything. The D-Link router would start at 1mbps and work it's way up
to 11m, taking about a minute. The EDIMAX would just start out at 11m
and recover connections in aout 3-5 seconds.

Geoff

--
Geoffrey S. Mendelson, C.T.O. GW&T Ltd., Jerusalem Israel
gsm at mendelson.com gsm at gwandt.com
IL Voice: 972-544-608-069  IL Fax: 972-2-648-1443 U.S. Voice: 1-215-821-1838