[geeks] Airport Express

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at verizon.net
Thu Jul 15 08:21:29 CDT 2004

> From: sammy ominsky <s at avoidant.org>
> Date: 2004/07/15 Thu PM 12:24:13 GMT
> To: The Geeks List <geeks at sunhelp.org>
> Subject: Re: [geeks] Airport Express
>
> On Jul 15, 2004, at 07:35, Lionel Peterson wrote:
>
> > device - see: http://www.apple.com/airportexpress/
>
> > Anyone else get/getting one?

> I really hope this thing will help with my wireless problems. For some
> reason the signal keeps fading in and out, sometimes rather badly. When
> that happens, the Airport Extreme in my powerbook resets itself in a
> misguided attempt to recover a good signal rather than keep going on a
> weak one.

Is your neighbor's access point "open", so your notebook tries to switch to
the stronger signal on channel 11?

Have you tried upping the power of your access point (if possible)? I know
some linksys APs have the ability to adjust power output via software... Tried
any upgrade antennas? External amplifiers?

> For anyone who might have suggestions, I'm using a Linksys WRT54G
> router/access point with linksys firmware version 2.02.8-security in
> G-only mode on channel 6. I've tried 1 also, but with no difference. I
> have a neighbor on 11, so I can't go there.

When you get the Airport Express, set it to channel 1, that way none of your
APs (or your neighbor) *should* interfere with each other...

> It's weird, because
> everything was fine 'till about a month ago, and it all started going
> bad. I wonder if another neighbor is using some bizarre spread spectrum
> phone or something that walks all over the entire 2.4GHz range.

When you know what changed, you'll know what your problem is ;^)

> I'm just hoping the Airport Express being plugged in in the same room
> with me will help my Airport Extreme not reset, and maintain the
> connection even when the signal degrades for some reason.

Of course, this assume you have a cat 5 connection in the room with the
Airport Express.

My hope is to upgrade to support 802.11g and add USB printer to be shared
between PC and Mac WiFi clients. I don't think the iTunes streaming will be
used, but that is a nice feature...

Lionel
lionel 4287 at verizon net