[geeks] I'm glad I don't live in the US!

wa2egp at att.net wa2egp at att.net
Sun Jul 11 21:47:57 CDT 2004

>No, I suspect the National Park Service sold a contractor (The Circle Line?)
>*exclusive* rights dock on the island - and part of the arrangement was that the
>NPS would enforce that exclusive right. And on the other side, I bet they
>contribute towards a small dock on the island.

Of course.  You can see a national landmark as long as you pay a private firm.

>Without such an arrangement, the NPS would (most likely) have to build an
>elaborate dock to accept *all* comers, including multiple cruise lines, and an
>indeterminate number of private/pleasure craft - with the end result being the
>Statue of Liberty becomes dockyard with an interesting centerpiece...
I don't think a dock would be all that elaborate.  The only problem would
be having to control all the boat traffic which would mean having some one
constantly on the radio informing potential visitors whether there is
available docking space.  That could be dicy.

>I'm OK with such an arrangement (if it is as outlined above)...

Well, some wouldn't Ok with it.  Not much to see since the statue hasn't
been fully open since 9/11.