[geeks] its what you carry with you

Adam Kropelin akropel1 at rochester.rr.com
Sun Jul 11 12:50:46 CDT 2004

The Renaissance Man wrote:
> On Sun, Jul 11, 2004 at 01:59:50PM +0100, Mike Meredith wrote:
>> And the high homicide rate in the US isn't simply down to the lack of
>> total gun control either. There are a number of countries in Europe
>> with widespread gun ownership that have very similar homicide rates
>> to other countries in Europe with very low levels of gun ownership.
>> If every gun in the US disappeared overnight it would still have a
>> higher homicide rate than most European countries ... assuming that
>> those deprived of a gun don't pick up a knife or use their hands.
>

> Amen, brother.
>
> As has been said, "Gun control is based on the concept that someont
> who is prepared to mug or rob someone with a gun is too stupid to be
> able to figure out how to do it with a baseball bat."

I'm not an advocate of gun control, but I don't think that quote makes an
effective argument. Given the choice between being mugged by someone with a
gun and someone with a baseball bat, I'd definitely prefer the bat. Used
properly, either weapon could do me equal harm, but in the case of the bat
I'd have at least a small chance of fighting back...or running away. If I
can get out of arm's reach I'm safe from the bat. Not so with a gun.

--Adam