[geeks] CGO interview...

Mike Meredith mike at blackhairy.demon.co.uk
Sat Jul 10 06:19:49 CDT 2004

On Sat, 10 Jul 2004 20:42:32 +1000, Scott Howard wrote:
> Yeah, stick with SAN 3.x - as long as you don't want any of the new
> features, hardware support, or bug fixes which have been added in the
> past few years. Ohh, and as long as you don't mind being unsupported.

Shrug. It works, which is more than I can say about 4.0 although as 4.4
is available it's worth a go.

> > If you've got EMCpowerpath installed, bear in mind that installing
> > both gave me an instant kernel panic.
>
> Probably just need to increase the kernel stack size. RTFM as the
> PowerPath install instructions have details.

Not only did I RTFM, but the said panic occurred in the presence of an
installation engineer and there is an ongoing support call asking for a
fix. It's odd that nobody has said there's a fix!

> > Don't know about Veritas DMP, but as powerpath is a modified DMP,
> > I'd approach it with caution.
>
> PowerPath isn't modified DMP.

I thought it was a bit odd, but so I was told by the installation
engineer. Mind you it's hardly the first time I've been mislead by a so
called expert.