[geeks] CCW

The Renaissance Man alaric at caerllewys.net
Thu Jul 8 11:37:53 CDT 2004

On Thu, Jul 08, 2004 at 11:09:01AM -0400, Kurt Huhn wrote:
> On Thu, 8 Jul 2004 09:32:09 -0500 (CDT)
> Jonathan C. Patschke wrote:
>
> > On Thu, 8 Jul 2004, Kurt Huhn wrote:
> >
> > > That's the case here in OH as well.  Open carry is allowed by state
> > > law, but localities have been known to arrest people for "inciting
> > > panic" when they actually do.
> >
> > Isn't it amazing what people can be arrested for?  "The bad man scared
> > me because he's carrying a -weapon-!  Arrest him!"
> >
> > People need to grow a set of nuts from time to time.
> >

> Indeed - some people seem to think that you're violating their rights to
> "not be scared" when you exercise yours to self defense.  I'm pretty
> sure it doesn't work that way....

What was that "Bill of No Rights" thing again?

ah, here we are.  Knew I had it around somewhere.

    BILL OF NO RIGHTS

    The following was written by State Representative Mitchell Kaye from
  Cobb County, GA.

    We, the sensible people of the United States, in an attempt to help
  everyone get along, restore some semblance of justice, avoid any more
  riots, keep our nation safe, promote positive behavior and secure the
  blessings of debt-free liberty to ourselves and our great-great-great
  grandchildren, hereby try one more time to ordain and establish some
  common sense guidelines for the terminally whiny, guilt-ridden,
  delusional, and other liberal bedwetters.  We hold these truths to be
  self-evident: that a whole lot of people were confused by the Bill of
  Rights, and are so dim that they require a Bill of No Rights.

    ARTICLE I

    You do not have the right to a new car, big screen TV or any other
  form of wealth.  More power to you if you can legally acquire them,
  but no one is guaranteeing anything.

    ARTICLE II

    You do not have the right to never be offended.  This country is
  based on freedom, and that means freedom for everyone - not just you!
  You may leave the room, turn the channel, express a different
  opinion, etc., but the world is full of idiots, and probably always
  will be.

    ARTICLE III

    You do not have the right to be free from harm.  If you stick a
  screwdriver in your eye, learn to be more careful, do not expect the
  tool manufacturer to make you and all your relatives independently
  wealthy.

    ARTICLE IV

    You do not have the right to free food and housing.  Americans are
  the most charitable people to be found, and will gladly help anyone
  in need, but we are quickly growing weary of subsidizing generation
  after generation of professional couch potatoes who achieve nothing
  more than the creation of another generation of professional couch
  potatoes.

    ARTICLE V

    You do not have the right to free health care.  That would be nice,
  but from the looks of public housing, we're just not interested in
  health care.

    ARTICLE VI

    You do not have the right to physically harm other people.  If you
  kidnap, rape, intentionally maim or kill someone, don't be surprised
  if the rest of us want to see you fry in the electric chair.

    ARTICLE VII

    You do not have the right to the possessions of others.  If you rob,
  cheat or coerce away the goods or services of other citizens, don't be
  surprised if the rest of us get together and lock you away in a place
  where you still won't have the right to a big-screen color TV or a
  life of leisure.

    ARTICLE VIII

    You don't have the right to demand that our children risk their
  lives in foreign wars to soothe your aching conscience.  We hate
  oppressive governments and won't lift a finger to stop you from going
  to fight if you'd like.  However, we do not enjoy parenting the
  entire world and do not want to spend so much of our time battling
  each and every little tyrant with a military uniform and a funny hat.

    ARTICLE IX

    You don't have the right to a job.  All of us sure want all of you
  to have one, and will gladly help you along in hard times, but we
  expect you to take advantage of the opportunities of education and
  vocational training laid before you to make yourself useful.

    ARTICLE X

    You do not have the right to happiness.  Being an American means
  that you have the right to pursue happiness - which by the way, is a
  lot easier if you are unencumbered by an overabundance of idiotic laws
  created by those of you who were confused by the Bill of Rights.

--
  ========== Fight Back!  It may not be just YOUR life at risk. ==========
  alaric at caerllewys.net : phil-stracchino at earthlink.net : phil at novylen.net