[geeks] Commiserate with me ... this sucks./Postfix

Jonathan C. Patschke jp at celestrion.net
Mon Jul 5 23:22:04 CDT 2004

On Mon, 5 Jul 2004, Bill Bradford wrote:

> On Mon, Jul 05, 2004 at 10:25:50AM -0500, Jonathan C. Patschke wrote:
>>> Three letter company, used to sell VAX memory boards? [1]
>> Nah.  A company that can't spell "tech" and resells LSI RAID
>> controllers.
>
> Do they also sell purple tape libraries?

Wah, yessss.

> I honestly have nothing bad to say about them lately.  We have
> 4-hour-response-on-weekdays support.

Ah, you forget.  I work for the government.  We get the "special"[0]
engineers.

I'll summarise:

   1) Controller goes non-responsive.
   2) Helldesk tells us it's a known bug in $version of the RAID
      controller firmware, and is dipatching an FE to upgrade it.
   3) FE-central calls to schedule an FE for 1900.
   4) FE calls at 1730 to tell me
   4a) He's going to be early (so we don't have time to run backups)
   4b) He's not bringing firmware so there won't be downtime anyway;
       he's just going to reboot it.
   5) Cursing ensues.  Maintenance window is canceled because rebooting
      one controller doesn't down the frame.
   6) He kills one controller with static discharge.
   7) He then hot-swaps the replacement in and out without informing the
      frame.
   8) He then reboots the remaining controller.
   9) Oracle go boom.

I was impressed, but not in the good way.

[0] YAAAAAYYYY!
--
Jonathan Patschke )"We're Germans and we use Unix.  That's a combination
Elgin, TX        (  of two demographic groups known to have no sense of