[geeks] Commiserate with me ... this sucks./Postfix

Jonathan C. Patschke jp at celestrion.net
Sun Jul 4 17:51:03 CDT 2004

On Fri, 2 Jul 2004, Mike Meredith wrote:

> Or make sure you have a good hardware maintenance contract (hardly
> likely for home I know).

I think a good hardware maintenance contract is hardly likely anywhere.

My experience with WeSellExpensiveSANs is that their field engineers are
thoroughly incapable and useful only in that if they break things while
fixing problems[0], we don't have to pay for their stupidity.

> You see lots of people recommend hardware RAID over software RAID (for
> good reasons), but the main difference is that the CPU processing is
> offloaded so if you've got idle CPUs, offloading the RAID processing may
> not buy you much. Mind you the external RAID boxes like A1000s, T3s, and
> StorEdge 3510s are great fun to play with.

The other reason being that the configuration of the metadevices is not
tied to the software running on the computer.

[0] This happens more often than not, sadly enough.
--
Jonathan Patschke )"We're Germans and we use Unix.  That's a combination
Elgin, TX        (  of two demographic groups known to have no sense of