[geeks] Commiserate with me ... this sucks.

mrl vlack-lists at vlack.com
Fri Jul 2 13:11:28 CDT 2004

On Fri, 2004-07-02 at 12:49, Gregory Leblanc wrote:
> On Thu, 2004-07-01 at 08:16, Jochen Kunz wrote:
> > On Thu, 01 Jul 2004 08:40:22 +0100
> > bitrot <bitrot at cat5.be> wrote:
> >
> > > b) never trust your data to software raid (ew)
> > If you have a hardware RAID, make sure you have a spare RAID controler
> > in a drawer. If you have not, your RAID controler will fail and you
> > can't get a new one that is compatible to the old to recover your data.
> > => Murphy.
>
> I have actually had a RAID controller fail, and used Software RAID under
> Linux to reconstruct the RAID array.

You can do that? I didn't realize... I thought that if you used a
hardware RAID controller, if that controller ever died, you *had* to use
the same controller unless you want to reformat your disks.
Does this work with all controllers, or does it require linux to already
know about each specific controller?