[geeks] Commiserate with me ... this sucks.

Gregory Leblanc gleblanc at linuxweasel.com
Fri Jul 2 12:49:10 CDT 2004

On Thu, 2004-07-01 at 08:16, Jochen Kunz wrote:
> On Thu, 01 Jul 2004 08:40:22 +0100
> bitrot <bitrot at cat5.be> wrote:
>
> > b) never trust your data to software raid (ew)
> If you have a hardware RAID, make sure you have a spare RAID controler
> in a drawer. If you have not, your RAID controler will fail and you
> can't get a new one that is compatible to the old to recover your data.
> => Murphy.

I have actually had a RAID controller fail, and used Software RAID under
Linux to reconstruct the RAID array.  It was actually faster using
Software RAID than it had been using the controller, but slightly less
convenient.  I assume that you're talking about something other than
RAID 1 here, since recovering that using other controllers (either
hardware or software) is often trivial.
	Greg