[geeks] Commiserate with me ... this sucks.

Gregory Leblanc gleblanc at linuxweasel.com
Thu Jul 1 01:21:10 CDT 2004

On Wed, 2004-06-30 at 23:00, mrl wrote:
[snip]
> So I switch to a console, and I see very bad messages regarding reiserfs
> and md0. Long story short, I have to hard reboot, and /home (which is a
> software RAID5 array of 4 80GB drives) doesn't come up. I eventually
> figure out that two of my RAID disks are dead. Why I didn't notice the
> first one going is entirely my fault, although it definitely shouldn't
> have happened, since I got all of those disks within the past few months!

Smells like a Linux install.  It IS possible to recover some data from a
RAID 5 set with two disks gone.  Lemme take a quick look for the docs on
the topic...
http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/Software-RAID-HOWTO-8.html

Not that it's likely to get you everything, but you should be able to
get a fair bit back.  If those instructions aren't clear enough, feel
free to ping me, and I'll try to explain whatever is confusing.
	Greg